Sunday, December 26, 2021

Firecracker, Firecracker, Boom, Boom, Boom!

 I'd be a terrible elf.

"Man pants! Man pants!" or something like that.  

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas/holiday/day off. We did our usual Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas eve where I made a paella with seven fishes in it, except it was four this year because shit happens. No one really cared. I like making a big paella so there's leftovers and I don't need to spend Christmas cooking. 

The sofrito was made back in September with tomatoes from my garden and then frozen. I was happy I planned ahead because one less thing to stand and do this week was a gift. 
I bulked it out with chickpeas and artichoke hearts. There's salmon, Mahi Mahi, Cod, and Tilapia. Anyway, for something I only make once a year I was happy I didn't screw it up. My brain hasn't been functioning at peak performance lately. 

Boxing Day I made an orange sesame chicken stir-fry that was quick, easy, and used up the odds and ends of vegetables. That's not proper rice under the chicken, but rice made from chickpea flour. After the arborio rice in the paellla I figured it was best to stay away from the real rice for a bit. I did manage the cooking for Mr. ETB's diabetic needs and he was able to enjoy a Christmas fruit cake that was mostly nuts, whole wheat flour, and grated carrots. I've been feeding it booze for a couple months. They both said it reminded them of a white christmascake without the molasses, but that the spices got the job done. So that's good to know, and I'll post the recipe for anyone that wants to try it for next year, or as a diabetic wedding cake, Simnel cake, or anywhere else a fruitcake makes sense. 

The waffle maker is fantastic. Dan's finding reasons to get out of bed before dinner. 

The all important Christmas trousers got worn, which felt like an accomplishment of sorts because most years I don't get to the majority of outfits I want during the holiday period. 
I love these so much. There's nothing that says they're Christmas, just that the pattern makes me think of a stylised tree. I could wear them year round of course, but then they wouldn't be special. I don't wear trousers much anyway. 

Maybe I can wear these in June for laughs. 
Or just the bodysuit and tights next time I need to go to Dan's school. I'm sure he'd appreciate me turning up like this. 
Christmas Eve was so warm there were giant flies emerging outside. Christmas Day was nice too, but next week we're headed into more seasonable temperatures. Still, it was nice to get into December without needing to run the furnace every day. 
My horrible/wonderful vintage shoes. They need to go to the cobbler for a professional re-gluing. 
This angel was a recent thrift purchase. I liked the mid-century lines of it. 
My earrings are pinecones, but that's hard to see in the photo. 
It was time for the red velvet skirt. 
and the tartan shoes...
Dan got a marzipan pig from Germany. I remember those being a very big deal when I was a child, and almonds being one of the few nuts I could have. It isn't the same without the  delicatessen/grocery/bakery/import shop paradise that was Kuhn's Delicatessen on Lincoln Ave and the old lady that would send me home with a year's worth of 4711 samples because she knew I liked it. No one is getting a bottle of Asbach Uralt (almost impossible to find in Nebraska) and there were no licorice pipes, ornately wrapped chocolates, or imported beer with a lady in a swimsuit on the can (I can't remember the brand) but by golly, my boy is having a piece of the American Midwestern 1970s Christmas experience that included a marzipan pig from Germany. 

The boys bought me a robe and it matched my velvet trousers so nicely I just went ahead and wore it all day. I'm sure I looked like  loony sitting in the sun Christmas day wrapped up like a convalescent at a TB sanatorium, but it was a nice way to spend the day. Beth's slippers have been getting a lot of wear.   I spent most of the day checking my plummeting blood sugar and then trying to force it back up with juice. Not ideal, but that's where we're at. Hopefully I can get an Rx for a continual monitoring one that I can wear and don't have to prick my fingers for blood tests so much. I have an appointment Tuesday, so we'll see. On a positive note, I've discovered I really like white grape juice. Almost like having a glass of dessert wine. 

Just like last year, Mr. ETB made the trip to the Mexican pottery shop in South Omaha and bought a couple planters as our gift. 
This one weighs a tonne.
A squirrel having a meal. How cute is that? I love squirrels as everyone knows, so that was just the perfect gift. I bought Mr. ETB a nice set of pencils and small notebooks along with a quality pepper grinder. We're still using the one my parents got when they were married in 1957. It will be nice to have one that can handle harder peppercorns. Anyway, he was excited to use it and likes that it has an adjustable grind feature. I bought mine from Penzy's because I like their spices, and their politics. I know they lost a lot of business this year for taking a stand against all this nonsense, and we try to buy what we can from them in support. Speaking of which...
I put packets of Penzy's spice samples in the Christmas crackers. Everyone's had enough candy anyway. 
I also put Thanksgiving stickers in because, what the hell why not?
Okay, the suction hanging hook was a last minute thing to fill out the tube, but they're useful. Not your typical Christmas cracker, for sure. 

And then it was Boxing Day. I got dressed, spent the day monitoring my blood glucose and drinking juice accordingly. Not bad, but I'd have rather been out. I won't be going out for any unnecessary trips now until the covid numbers come back down. I'm worried what's coming post holiday, but maybe people did the right thing and got vaccinated and wore masks. A Christmas miracle? 
Unlikely, but not impossible. 
I'm looking forward to a nice New Year's Eve at home. Maybe for excitement people can start their "Celebratory Gunfire" before midnight. Because what's more American than greeting the New Year by firing several rounds indiscriminately into the air? Happens every year, and every year someone gets shot by the "celebratory gunfire" but traditions are hard to change. Yeah, what can I say? Fireworks are also legal on New Year's Eve in Nebraska and last year they passed legislation permitting even larger ones to be purchased by the home consumer. So that's fun because we have plenty of extra help at the hospitals right now to sew people back together after they set off the equivalent of an artillery shell on their driveway. It also makes it fun sitting at home playing a game I like to call, "Shot or Firecracker"? Most of the time I can tell, but when they're going off at the same time it scales up the level of difficulty. 

But don't mind me. I'm old and cranky and just want to be in bed by 10 PM with a mug of cocoa and a book.

I hope the last few days of 2021 are pleasant for you and that you celebrate in an appropriate manner. Cheers. 


















13 comments:

Polyester Princess said...

Danny will be pleased to know we've got marzipan pigs in Belgium, and Asbach Uralt, although I can't vouch for beer with a lady in a swimsuit on the can :-)
Love the robe the boys got you. It looks absolutely perfect with the bunny slippers. The planters from the Mexican pottery are fabulous too, the one with the squirrel is just too cute.
That final outfit is my favourite.
I just hate fireworks, and although it's strictly forbidden for private use that doesn't deter people. In fact, fireworks have just gone off as I'm typing this. A practice run for NYE I suppose. I don't envy you the "Celebratory Gunfire", that's for sure. xxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

The Paella looked delicious! Loved all your outfits especially the red velvet skirt and the silver skirt. The angel brooch was a brilliant find. I just can't imagine a New year with gunfire...

Happy New Year and here's wishing you better health for 2022!
xxx

Emily said...

Oh, those Christmas-tree-like pants are definitely worthy of being worn all year!

I like marzipan candies in fun shapes. Sometimes I get them at World Market.

Our townhouse is across the street from a golf course and park where coyotes roam. Sometimes I hear gunshots late at night while I'm half asleep and I wonder if someone is hunting those poor coyotes or if some idiot is shooting a gun for reasons I don't even know. I don't call the police when it happens, as it doesn't happen that often. Besides, the noise is so far away that I can't even tell if it's coming from the north, south, east, or west. The officers wouldn't have much to go on.

You're adorable in your new robe and bunny slippers, and when you sit on your porch like that, you look so approachable that I'd be tempted to walk right up to you and talk to you, even if I didn't know you. I think it was Thomas Mann who wrote a book ("The Magic Mountain") about some guy who went to a sanatorium and liked it so much that he never left, LOL. I say that with all the good food and drink and fun decorations you have in your home, there's not much reason to venture off your porch. At least not until it's grocery shopping day again.

Best wishes to you on your next medical appointment. White grape juice is really good, I agree.

JanF said...

Oh, you brought back memories of Kuhn's! I worked for several years at LakeView bank ( Lincoln, Belmont/Ashland).
Some great outfits and lots of fun in this post. We are snowed in ( 10 in) and it was 8 degrees this morning. This year we have had the record hottest days, flood days and now cold. We are going nowhere but the mailbox until we run out of food or wine.

Anonymous said...

Your meals look delicious and it was fun seeing pictures of your lovely family at the dinner table.

My husband and I made a nice dinner for ourselves on Christmas eve. Christmas day we went to visit my mother in memory care then went on to see his sister and special needs brother. We talked in her foyer with masks on. Crazy !

I like your silver crushed velvet skirt . Winter fabrics are so lush and beautiful.

Had to laugh at your 2 styling versions of crazy elf pants.

Best Wishes Always,
Gail from Pa.

Bibi Maizoon said...

A belated Merry Xmas!
You are certainly looking festive and glamourous.Loving the Xmas trousers and silver skirt.
I had that exact pair of those horrible/wonderful 70s vintage shoes in the 6th grade. I thought they were fab with my corduroy flares and flutter sleeve tshirts. In reality they were ugly as sin but divinely comfortable.
All the cheap Chinese Christmas decor that didn't sell last looks to have been dumped in Nepal, very odd as Nepalis don't want it either.
Sprayed the drapes with a sample of Byredo's boozy vanilla Slow Dance and boiling orange peels, cloves, and cinnamon sticks trying to invoke some festive feelings.
Joy to the world!
xox

bahnwärterin said...

cheers my dear!
first thing first: i totally looove this shiny pointy boots!!! so super cool!
of cause your silvery skirt and the fab accessories make for a very chic outfit.....
the paella looks wonderful - and i should try to make one too - the BW loves rice and fish and for me its the spices... spices in the crackers - thats clever, we all eat to much sweets anyway :-D well done to support the spice company - here slowly the companies are starting to promote for vaccination - knowing that another full lockdown would kill the whole economy.
you look gorgeous in that oppulent robe/velvet trousers outfit - perfect colour for you. i´m a great fan of "playing zauberberg" aka sitting on a deckchair in the wintersun in a sheltered place, wrapped up in warm textiles. or a fur coat.
cute and pretty planters - of cause you had to have one with a squirrel!!
be careful and stay warm and cosy! <3 xxxxx

Vix said...

I love the dressing gown the boys bought you, it's fabulous!
Kudos to you for doing so much cooking when you've been so poorly, all I've done in the last week was peel some carrots.
Not a great fan of fireworks but backing on to a Sikh Gurdwara means we get them most weeks - I won't fancy gunfire, I'd be under the table.
Glad you had a fab Xmas and hoping 2022 is a healthy and happy one. xxx

Beth Waltz said...

Ah, an elf with an attitude! In the days of grand department stores, my aunt was a saleswoman in "fine dresses". However, during the Christmas season she took a bonus to relocate to the toy department to become the elf who directed kiddies off and on Santa's train. Envision Wallis Simpson in a size 0 elf suit. Aunt loathed children and had only to give them "the look" to hustle them along.

Moving on to an image of easy elegance, there's the Christmas trousers with pinecone pattern, the "ornamental" earrings, the pine tree pin, and the jade and black and white bangles. It's a wonderful gift you have, striking the balance between making an effort but not trying too hard...

However, what you now need in your wardrobe of accessories is that medical alert bracelet and a continual monitoring blood sugar gizmo. And while you're in the drugstore, ask the pharmacist about OTC pro-biotics to nourish your gut flora. What's one more pill?

Glad you've discovered white grape juice. The sparkling version is what I serve guests who don't drink even champagne. Having given up on evening entertaining (because many of my friends no longer drive after dark), I'm developing a repertoire of brunch menus. Danny's waffle maker is truly inspiring. Do keep us posted on his recipes for it. We've not forgotten he's a prize-winning maker of pastries!


Sheila said...

I admit I guffawed over your elf skirt pulled up over your boobs, Goody! :)

Glad you had a fun Christmas! White grape juice sounds good. Happy joy joy!

Unknown said...

Selling fireworks to Private Persons was forbidden this year in Germany. So people looked for alternatives. There was a long waiting line at the gun Shop for Lightning ammo or whatever this Kind of stuff is called. Now it is well past two, but to many people still have to much ammo left - eyes roll.

Unknown said...

I forgot to mention the illegally bought firework; the border to Poland is only a 2,5 hours drive from Berlin.

Goody said...

@Ann
I could use a swig of strong brandy right about now! No gunfire yet, but it is only 8 PM. I'm sorry you have to put up with the fireworks. They're annoying and dangerous in the wrong hands. Fingers crossed for a quiet night for you.

@Vronni
America loves her guns. Would have been better if she loved her schools and libraries the way she loves and defends the guns but here we are. Happy New Year.

@Emily
I can almost imagine some idiot shooting at wildlife in a park. Hopefully it isn't what it sounds like but yeah, great.

@JanF
That was a fun part of Lakeview for bookstores, bars, coffee houses, etc. Haven't been through there in years but imagine it is still pretty nice given proximity to the ballpark.
Enjoy your snow-such a rare treat out there.

@Gail from PA
I'm glad you were still able to see everyone even with the hassle of covid restrictions. It is so, so hard for people in care facilities so I'm really happy for you and them being able to work something out.

@Bibi
a very gentle but heartfelt distanced virtual hug to you. You've really been through it all the past couple of years and I am knocking every wood surface as I wish you a better 2022.

@Beate
Thank you!
I'm forced to stay inside now as we're having a winter storm come in and sub-zero temperatures, but I'm still spending most of my time wrapped up in a robe and sitting in a chair. I know when to slow down and this is it.

@Vix
The city had their official fireworks at 7 pm just to get people home early and off the roads, so maybe it will help discourage people doing their own shows. No gunfire yet, so fingers crossed.

@Beth
Your aunt sounds like a great character. That would be a nightmarish job for me.
I got a monitor that isn't continual but is able to link to my phone with info, so that's good. It seems to be running high now? I swear, my body is just having a toddler tantrum.
Happy New Year to you!

@Sheila
I try to have some fun with it.

@Unknown
Oh no, that's terrible. I'm sorry people are being so stupid there too.