Friday, December 31, 2021

It's Just Another New Year's Eve

Cheers!

It isn't quite midnight in Omaha yet (about 9 PM) but it is largely quiet save for the occasional fireworks. No gunfire yet, and much less noise in general than most years. We had a bit of freezing fog earlier making roads dangerous and we're expecting a snowstorm after midnight so maybe people took the warnings seriously and stayed home. 

There's a giant moving truck across the street and we have new neighbours moving in tonight. I'm sure they're trying to stay ahead of the storm. Our street is well lit so it isn't dark out there, but I do feel really sorry for them because it is freezing cold. I guess they'll have a memorable story to tell. 

Yesterday, my husband came home from work to isolate after the person that sits next to him at work tested positive for covid. They're about 10 feet apart and wear masks at work but he's still concerned. He had an quick test yesterday that came back negative, but he's isolating until Monday when he's scheduled for a PCR test. No symptoms, and he's had 3 jabs of vaccine, but it is still worrying. We're lucky enough to have a finished basement room where he can isolate, and an extra bathroom he can use alone. I'm wearing masks when I bring him food, or he has to come upstairs but otherwise we're all distancing. There were 800 (!!!) cases in Omaha yesterday (that were diagnosed, god knows how many more are out there) and nine deaths. It is everywhere in the community and with no restrictions in place and all the bars and clubs open tonight things are only going to get worse. We're still dealing with the spike in cases from Christmas. Since it is impossible to avoid it entirely without staying home, the best chance anyone has to get through this is to vaccinate, wear a proper mask, and distance from others. He's been doing those things so hopefully it will have been enough. It is a large office with no windows and a large number of employees so there's only so much that can be done. You can't unfortunately control what people do outside of work. 

Dan's school is on break until the 5th, but the school announced they're going back to mandating masks when classes resume. That brought a shit-storm of complaints from parents that still don't believe in reality, but the school is sticking firm. That's very good to hear because the largest increase in cases has been in young people. I guess after sending the kids out into a tornado there was some concern that the administration wasn't taking the physical safety of students as seriously  as they might. I'm glad they're doing masks though, the kids unlike the adults will actually wear them. They have some brains. 
But tonight is New Year's Eve, so I put on a vintage Lurex skirt (but skipped the matching tunic) and made the best of it. I sent a festive smoked salmon frittata and cucumber salad downstairs for Mr. ETB and Danny ate while we waited for the night to get underway. 
I made this dairy free for Danny by using tofu cream cheese, soy cream, and margarine. I had three small leeks to use in something and this was the perfect place to dump them. With some chervil and tarragon it came together into a fancy meal, though not the one I had planned for the evening. The blini and caviar can wait for another night. Tomorrow there will be Hoppin' John a dish made with black eyed peas, celery, bacon (turkey bacon for ours) and bell peppers. The peas are supposed to symbolise coins and be eaten for good luck and wealth in the new year. It is a Southern US thing-I never ate Hoppin' John in Chicago, but my husband's dad was from Baton Rouge, Louisiana so we make it as a nod to his heritage. His mom was from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania but I am absolutely not making Hog Maw (pig stomach). I have my limits. My family didn't do anything for New Year's Day that I can remember. My mother was probably nursing a hangover. 

I already have a headache-no sense adding alcohol to it. I don't have anything good and I don't want to drink cooking wine.

Hi there! I'm not taking down the wall until the 6th so please continue enjoying my holiday decorations until then. I'm tempted to just take down the stockings and Christmas items and leave the bricks. We'll see. Not much to do after New Year's until Burns Night. 

Almost 10 PM now and still quiet. Don't want to put a jinx on it, but so far so good.


These knit trousers are thrifted and I really like them-they appeared unworn and are perfect, except that they have faux pockets. 
Why? They still have to sew something in there, how much more would a pocket cost?! I still like them and will wear them often, but the fake pockets are silly. I wish companies would stop that.
First wear for the Egyptian tourist bracelet made of faience and plastic tinted to look like coral. It is a beautiful piece and I have several necklaces in a similar style. I'm showing you the back here as the fastening is so ornate and beautiful. The sweater I'm wearing was also recently thrifted and this is my second wear. It is a good shade of pink for both my complexion, and existing wardrobe-it matches nicely with several pieces. 
I'm wearing quite a lot of pink and brown lately. This outfit is such a fun piece of Western wear by American company Panhandle Slim.  
I don't have a horse, but that isn't going to stop me rocking a pair of vintage corduroy culottes. Let's go horsie dragon!

I know there's still a couple hours to go, but let me wish everyone a happy and healthy New Year. I'm not making any predictions because if the last couple years have taught me anything it is that none of us have any idea what's coming. I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best in 2022.












 







17 comments:

Vix said...

Happy New Year!
I hope Mr ETB, you and Danny remain Covid-free. My friend Liz and her 81-year-old mum tested positive two days ago but both feel fine and are isolating with Champagne and vintage frocks.
Your lurex maxi is fabulous! xxx

Polyester Princess said...

Happy New Year!
I'm loving the Lurex maxi skirt - and there's a matching tunic, you say? - and the culottes, of course. That photo of you with the dragon is hilarious :-)
I'm sorry to hear about Mr. ETB's predicament and I'm keeping my fingers crossed all is well. Thank god for that basement. I've no idea what we would have to do at tiny Dove Cottage! xxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Happy New year, Goody!

Love the outfits especially the lurex skirt.

We had the most extraordinary firework display in terms of both quantity and time on New Year's Eve. I thought it would never end!
xxx

Anonymous said...

Best Wishes in the New Year to you and all the wonderful people who comment here on your blog. It is such a pleasure to read about everyone's thrift shop outfits and personnel perspectives from all over the globe.

Your frittata looks fabulous.
Your pink sweater and pant outfit look vintage Mary Tyler Moore to me.
And that is one hefty Nebraska belt buckle.

Your poor husband confined to the basement. Is there a TV down there ? I can't imagine him spending his days reading from your cookbook collection. I sure hope he doesn't get Covid.

Please take care,
Gail From Pa.

bahnwärterin said...

happy new year dear goody!
and all my best health wishes for mr.ETB!

you look fabulous in your party wear with lurex and bold accessories - those ear baubles <3 - also love the western style suit, the culottes have cool detailing and the colour is gorgeous...... but the dinosaur does look not very happy being used that way ;-D

sounds good that it´s quiet at yours, hoping it stayed like that. here it was quite loud counting in that fireworks were forbidden. people bought illegal bangers in poland and czechia, hell machines filled with industrial explosive instead of black powder - lisbeth is still a bid shocked.

stay safe! xxxxx

Emily said...

Your NYE outfit is beautiful! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a negative PCR test for your husband.

We had a quiet New Year's Eve. There were only a couple of firework sounds in the neighborhood last night, thank goodness.

Bibi Maizoon said...

Wishing Happy and healthy new year to you also!
Hope your hub stays negative for Covid 💕
Haven’t made Hoppin’ John in years, will be making black eyed peas with Dutch Neu Jahre cookies (basic raisin fritters) for good luck this year.
Still can’t believe the American backlash against masks, I mean really?
Loving your glamorous garb on New Years and the retro pink and brown looks.
Send the caviar and blinis to me please, with a split of Dom Perrignon perhaps?
Very noisy here in Nepal as Tibetan Losar and Western new year coincided, gunfire, firecrackers and drunken revelry could be heard throughout the land. I celebrated on the living room 🛋
Take care
Xox

JanF said...

A new year and surely a better one!
You look great and I hope you are enjoying being so slim.
All good wishes, JanF

Goody said...

@Vix
I hope Liz and her mum recover quickly and easily. This is a tough strain to avoid even doing all the right things. We're still waiting on test results. Happy New Year!

@Ann
Thank you. The tunic is long and I think the overall effect is too much on someone my height.
We're still waiting to hear back with test results.
Happy New Year!

@Vronni
Happy New Year!
A well done fireworks display sounds safe and fun.

@Gail
Happy New Year to you as well!
Mr. ETB has been working from home and sleeping. No TV but we don't really use the one we have upstairs. I don't know why, just never did. There hasn't been anything I've wanted to watch for a long time I guess.

@Beate
Thank you, Happy New Year to you and the BW!
I'm sorry people are being stupid by you. I guess it will be onto the next dumb thing after. Not too much damage they can do for St. Valentines :)

@Emily
Thank you. Happy New Years to you as well. Glad it stayed quiet. L spent almost 4 hours waiting in line to get tested today at the drive-in facility. You're supposed to make an appointment and then show up at that time but people are just turning up and jamming the lines. Such a mess.

@Bibi
Happy New Year to you and yours!
You know why Americans don't want to wear masks though, because we're so pretty and don't want to cover it up ...gotta say it is always the ugliest people screaming loudest about the masks. I'm totally ok with hiding my mug under a mask.

@JanF
Yikes, Jan! Really?!

Emily said...

Oh my, I can't believe your husband had to wait nearly 4 hours in a drive-through testing queue today. Even a Disney theme park has queues that move quicker during the height of tourist season.

I appreciate the convenience of walk-in appointments, but it sounds like this facility should tighten up their policies and try harder to discourage walk-ins from coming. Either that, or give preference to people with prescheduled appointments so that they could jump the line and go ahead of the folks who just showed up unannounced. Did they at least have ample room between lanes so that people to move their cars and go home if they chose not to wait that long?

Goody said...

@Emily,
It was chaos at all the locations and they're not turning people away probably out of fear of a riot. He was glad he didn't have an extra cup of coffee this morning. Basically sat in the car and read a book.

Beth Waltz said...

A belated Happy New Year! Ours has been busy but quiet. Yet more members of our community have fallen ill and as you've noted, in-house logistics can be tricky. (Mr. ETB is extremely fortunate in both accommodations and room service!)

Russet brown with pink is a retro color combo I've always found flattering IF the pink isn't sugary. That thrifted sweater is exactly the proper pink!

As the Chinese saying runs: "We live in interesting times." Me, I'm ready for a spell of boredom...

Miss Magpie said...

A very Happy New Year to you all and I do hope your home remains covid free it is certainly galloping around the world again.

Goody said...

@Miss Magpie
Thank You. Happy New Year to you as well.

Goody said...

@Beth
Happy New Year.
Yes, even with space it is hard. I hope you're able to steer clear of the infected. I'm ready for some boredom too!

Sheila said...

Up here in western Canada, COVID cases are holding pretty steady, but now everyone knows someone who's had it (not that case a year ago), and there's a feeling of inevitability: it's not a case of IF you get it, but WHEN. Hoping to be scheduled for my booster shot soon. There are no rapid tests here (gee, thanks, Canada), and we're just told to isolate for 5 days. We do still have restrictions (gyms and nightclubs are all closed, plus other stuff). I am so sorry to hear your husband got exposed, and that you all missed out on your NYE being more together. It is what it is, to use a stoopid cliché.

Clothes: LOVE your slinky skirt. Lurex, so KLASSY! And it has a matching tunic? I swoon. Do not get me started on fake pockets! That is a sweet vintage sweater - great colour. Tourist jewelry is its own niche - I have some Indonesian and Mexican tourist pieces. Corduroy culottes? Get out of town on that dragon!

I am embarrassed to say I actually didn't register your brick wall as fake, ha ha! My Xmas stuff is still up - I'm taking it down tomorrow too.

Happy New Year! It can only get better...right?? Right?

Mim said...

I had never head of hog maw. I eat haggis, but the stomach there is only used as a container, you don't eat it. Chitterlings are a thing round here but I don't eat those, and I think you're wise to give hog maw a pass too!