Sunday, November 18, 2007

Here We Go Again

I started another batch of sourdough for rye bread. When I started the sourdough rye adventure last year, I finally came to a happy medium of using both First Clear Flour and Vital Wheat Gluten. I think that is the approach I'll use this time as well, though only because I have half a bag of the Clear Flour left and no time to order more from King Arthur (at least not for this batch).

Today I began the starter which requires potato water. Since we were having mashed potatoes for dinner, it was simple enough to save out a cup of the cooking water.

The recipe for the starter is as follows:

1 cup potato water, cooled to lukewarm
1 tablespoon yeast (yes, I cheat and use yeast)
1 cup rye flour.

Stir, cover (don't use a metal bowl) with plastic and keep in a room between 65-70 degrees. After three days, you're ready to make rye bread.

This bread keeps very well once it is baked, and I have successfully shipped it to people across the country having it arrive in perfect shape (or so they have told me). It also freezes well. I'm not making a turkey for Thanksgiving (it's a bit much for three people) but I can't help but think it would be a wonderful base for a turkey sandwich.

This style of rye is pretty similar to what we used to get from the bakeries in Chicago, and somewhat similar to what people call a New York Rye. It does take a bit of work, and last year I tried it numerous times with various changes until i found one that worked. If you type "rye bread" into the Search Blog field at the top of the page, you can see all the attempts on a single page. It was fun, and educational. I hope this year is as successful.

I'm looking forward to some soft boiled eggs and rye toast next weekend.

No comments: