Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Cold Salads For A Very Warm Evening-Rice Salad




The heat index was 117 degrees F. today. I was outside for no more than two minutes with the dog, and I thought I might die. That sort of a comment, coming from a person that spent 24 years living in Chicago gives you some idea of how miserable it is here. Now the thunderstorms are rumbling through, but at least it will cool things down a bit.

I made an assortment of cold salads, deviled eggs, fish salad, griddle scones, pickled items, etc. to have as a sort of indoor-picnic. I'm not going to post a recipe for pasta salad (I used everything I had on hand, including a tin of hominy)because any idiot can make pasta salad, but the rice salad was pretty special.

For The Rice Salad:

2 cups cooked, cold Jasmine rice (or any rice you have)
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
1/4 cup raisins
Salt and pepper to taste
2 heaping tablespoons paprika (Sweet)
2 tablespoons minced, dried onion
1 teaspoon dried minced garlic granules (yep, haven't been shopping in a while)


Combine rice, carrots, parsley, raisins, onions and garlic in a bowl. Mix together the oil, vinegar and paprika. Mix with rice and vegetables. Adjust salt and pepper. Serve well chilled.

No comments: