Saturday, July 31, 2010

Tutti-Frutti Loaf Cake-Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, 1950


I changed the fruit/nut combination, but otherwise followed the original recipe. I really must say, this is a lovely cake. Not too sweet, certainly nothing fancy, but a terrific way to use up extra egg whites. One can only eat so many meringues and angel food cakes. I'm not a quick bread fanatic (I can't stand banana bread, and the like) but this was really enjoyable. It is drier than most loaf cakes, and I can't wait to try toasting a slice for breakfast tomorrow. I know I have a jar of marmalade around here somewhere...

You Will Need:

2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites (1/2 cup total)
1 cup cut-up raisins and maraschino cherries tossed with 2 tablespoons of flour(or whatever you like. I suspect it would be excellent with currants and caraway seeds)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a loaf pan (9x5x3)

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, cream the butter until light. Add the dry ingredients, milk, vanilla, and egg whites. beat on medium speed of a hand mixer for 2 minutes. Fold in fruit and pour into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour, to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool in pan for 30 minutes before removing (mine came out easily).

No comments: