Monday, May 21, 2012

Chewy Oatmeal Chip Cookies

I made these a week ago, and kept in an airtight tin they are still as fresh as the day I made them. I used mini chocolate chips from a nut-free supplier-Enjoy Life (also gluten free, vegan, and dairy free) which seemed like a good decision. The chips have a surprisingly strong cocoa flavour, though they remain a bit firmer after baking than ordinary chocolate chips. I'm not being compensated by Enjoy Life Foods in either money or product. I purchased these at Hy-Vee in Omaha for $3.99 a bag.

The recipe comes from, Chocolate by, Nick Malgieri.

I've been pleased with everything I've baked from this cookbook including a recipe for chocolate sables. The sables, good as they are are still not as perfect as the Dorie Greenspan sables, which is my "go-to' sables recipe (Oh what? Like you don't have a "go-to" recipe for sables?) so I'm not including it here.

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips (6 oz)
1 cup dark raisins

Set racks in oven in upper and lower thirds. preheat oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

Beat butter and sugar until mixed, then beat in egg. beat until smooth. Stir in flour, bicarb, cinnamon, and salt.

Stir in oats, chips, and raisins. Drop by tablespoons onto paper lined (I just greased my pans) sheets. Use the back of a fork to slightly flatten the cookies. Bake about 10 minutes until golden, and still moist. Cool on pans. Store between sheets of wax paper in tins.

No comments: