Thursday, March 20, 2014

It Takes One To Know One

...old bags, that is.


The Crown Lewis bag was in really nice condition, and still had the mirror and early plastic glitter comb.

 I didn't even notice the accessories in the bag when I bought it! I was just marveling at the rhinestone clasp being intact. Bonus! I love when that happens.
The other two are less exciting, though the crepe covering on the Levine bag is in good condition considering the age. Those typically take a beating.

The gold bag is more of a mystery, though it cost next to nothing, and is in good condition. I can't remember the last time I needed an evening bag, but they are great for holding sewing items, cosmetics, or to send a gift in. I usually buy them when I spot them priced inexpensively. They won't take up too much room to store.

Pretty, but no manufacturer information. I'd guess late 50's early 60's, but that's just a guess.

No weekend of thrifting can be considered successful if I fail to return home with some California pottery. This one was a lucky find at $3.99The vintage wall clock next to it was a pretty good bargain as well, but that's another post.
 

 
Happy Spring everyone.

5 comments:

Curtise said...

Old bags maybe, but pretty bags, with lovely little details. I don't have any vintage evening bags, because they are just too small, but I do like to admire them from afar!
I don't know what California pottery is, so I am off to see what Google can tell me about it! xxx

Goody said...

Pretty much, pottery made in California.

Ohio and Illinois had their share as well, and sometimes with unmarked pieces it can be tricky to tell what you have. As it is for my own enjoyment, not to sell I don't worry too much about authenticating the unmarked pieces. I like the shapes (leaves) and oddball glazes in earth tones.

Joanna said...

I love Lewis bags. I came to know about them by their advertisements. I have a few different types and love their quality. It's amazing how inexpensive some of these vintage bags can be when they fly under the radar.

Jayne H said...

Great bags, very elegant

Goody said...

I should insist Mr. ETB take me someplace smart where I can use my evening bags as they're a bit much for foosball at the rec centre.