Friday, March 28, 2014

Nanaimo Bars-Nut Free Version

What's in a Nanaimo Bar?
Drunks and hookers.
 
This was my first attempt at the classic dessert from British Columbia. I used the recipe here:
Because we have nut allergies to deal with, I adapted the crust by using a bit more coconut. Another good substitute for nuts would be crushed pretzels, or toasted porridge oats. I also had to use a local store brand custard powder as Bird's is almost impossible to come by where I live. I doubt you could taste the difference against all that butter and sugar. I should mention that these are not health food, even if you use dark cocoa.
 
Here's a closer look at the mushroom canister and napkin holder in the background. I know Nanaimo bars have been around for a long time, but I associate them with the early 70's, just like mushroom shaped canisters. Don't store your Nanaimo bars in a canister-they need the fridge.
 
There are two other pieces to the set, but you get the idea.
 
Happy Weekend.
 

2 comments:

Connie said...

How funny. My mother used to make these. She called them Namlo bars and she used regular Jello vanilla pudding. I never questioned the name. Of course not. I was a kid. Anyhoo, I have not thought about these bars in ages. Thanks for the little trip down memory lane.

Goody said...

Thanks Connie. I should caution you against making them though-my head was doing that whoooosh thing it does when I get pure sugar. Clearly these things are for children, as my kid ate it in a single bite, then looked at me for another square. At least he didn't wash it down with a fizzy drink.