Monday, March 17, 2014

Like When You Laugh So Hard You Pee (With Barley and Carrots)

I do like a good pilaf. This one was quite nice, but I didn't photograph it. The cookbook didn't have a photo either, so the editors probably knew it would attract attention on the strength of the ingredients.  I served it with a vegetarian breaded cutlet, and a scallion sauce. It looked fancier than it was (they were frozen cutlets) and was pretty straightforward to cook.

I bought the cookbook for .25 cents at the Friends of the Library Book Sale (Thursdays, and First Saturday of the Month at Swanson Branch in Omaha). I'm sure the word, "Vegetarian" frightened off enough people that I was able to snag it. Everything else I've made from this book was excellent as well. I do like the Sunset books (the bread one if terrific) and they are easily found used.

From the Sunset Complete Vegetarian Cookbook

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons salad oil (I used olive)
2 large onions, sliced (I quartered, and then sliced them as I can't manage whole slices with arthritis anymore)
4 ounces small mushrooms, quartered (I used about 8 ounces)
1 1/2 cups pearl barley, rinsed and drained
2 medium sized carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
3 1/4 cups vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
Chopped parsley

You'll need either a large frying pan, or a Dutch oven for this. It will need to be covered as it cooks, so plan accordingly.

heat butter and oil over medium high heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook stirring often until browned (about 8 minutes). Mix in the barley, then cook, stirring until lightly toasted (about 3 minutes). Add carrots, thyme, garlic, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, and barley is tender (about 45 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 6 servings as a side.

1 comment:

Curtise said...

Lovely. Love a pilaff too, and I am a sucker for a risotto. Mmmm. xxx