Friday, November 06, 2009

Coconut Pound Cake, Gourmet October 1973

*updated*-this cake is destined to become a family favourite. It is a cake that is too dangerous to leave sitting at the table because it slowly disappears thin slice by "one more tiny slice."
When I woke this morning I had no idea what I would be baking for Friday Cakeblogging. As I drank my coffee, I mindlessly flipped through an old issue of Gourmet (from the ancient collection) looking for inspiration. I wanted something plain, after all the frosted cakes of late. This pound cake sounded perfect, and as it baked and the wonderful fragrance filled my kitchen, I knew I'd chosen well. Not bad decision making on half a cup of instant (store brand) coffee.

You Will Need:

3 cups sifted AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 1/2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
4 large eggs, beaten well
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (I omitted this)
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup grated coconut

Butter and flour a 10 inch tube pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the butter until fluffy. Gradually add the confectioner's sugar. Add the eggs and extracts and beat until well blended. Alternating with the milk, add the flour (the recipe didn't specify, but I did it in three additions ending with flour). Pour into prepared pan, place on a baking sheet to prevent any leaks if using a 2 piece pan, and bake 35 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 and bake another 35-45 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on a rack ten minutes, then remove and cool completely on rack. Makes a very substantial pound cake.

No comments: