Friday, November 13, 2009

Coffee Poundacke, Gourmet November 1971


Two weeks in a row I've made a pound cake from the old Gourmet magazine collection-must be a theme. The recipe has a glaze which I didn't bother with, but I will include at the end of the recipe. I did not line the pan with waxed paper, but greased and floured it instead-no difficulties removing it at all. The recipe was vague as to size of eggs, etc. so I will specify what I used.

Plantation Inn Pound Cake:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a loaf pan, 11x4x3 inches.

1/3 cup instant coffee
1/2 cup whole milk-heated
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups AP flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Dissolve the coffee in the hot milk and set aside to cool. Cream together the butter and sugar until light. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Sift together the flour and baking powder and add, alternating with the coffee milk. Mix until well blended. Pour into pan and smooth evenly. Bake 90 minutes or until cake tests done by inserting a toothpick in the centre. Cool ten minutes in the pan, then cool completely on a rack. When cool, top with glaze.

Glaze:

Beat together 1/2 cup butter and 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar until smooth. Add 1/4 cup instant coffee dissolved in 2 tablespoons boiling water and cooled. Beat in 1 egg and combine well. Spread generously on the cake. Note-the egg does not get cooked, so unless you have a particularly strong constitution, or know the source of your eggs well, you may prefer to skip this.

5 comments:

Raymond said...

Not that this comment has anything to do with your post, but it's your most recent 'food' post and this is about food:

Just now I'm baking the "Hot Fudge Pudding (a topsy turvy dessert)" from pg 109 in the Betty Crocker Boys and Girls Cookbook. The smell of baking chocolate is all thru the house.

I decided to stay home tonight and get under the covers and watch TV with a tasty treat, instead of going out to a 'thing' downtown.

Raymond said...

PS: I also considered making tapioca tonight, and may well tomorrow or Monday.

Goody said...

Let me know how the tapioca goes, I could use a good recipe. Danny used to love baby food tapioca, but the two times I tried making it from scratch it was a complete disaster with the pearls being too chewy-even after soaking in milk overnight.

I wish I had a "thing" to go to, I wish I had a "downtown" too.

I have to go to the hardware store today to get some wood cut in odd lengths for a nougat frame-that ought to be exciting. At least I get to talk to grown ups.

Raymond said...

I bought a bag of multi-colored tapioca (in small pearls). The bag had no instructions on it (I bought it at the chinese supermarket) so I've had to look around. Every recipe has different proportions of everything, so I guess. Plus, I use soy milk to make it. At least I have, and that's all I remember doing. I may have used regular milk.

No, haven't yet made it this week.

PS: the word verification for this post is "ratrot." Rat rot. I hate when I forget about rats in the back of the 'fridge and they rot.

Goody said...

Say it like Astro, the Jetson's dog.
"Rrrrrtrrrrrrtttt." Ruff!

I've seen the coloured tapioca but never knew what the heck to do with it.