Sunday, May 10, 2009

Brining Your Own Brisket


Mr. Eat The Blog gave up on buying me mutton for Mother's Day, and instead presented me with a 5 lb. beef brisket. I have a recipe for turning it into homemade corned beef by brining it for two weeks, and I thought I'd give it a try.

That photograph-that's for real. Click on the image to read the slogan.

We do like to buy better quality items from Just Good Meat in Omaha because their prices are quite good. They sell aligator meat, beef hearts and goat meat-but nary a slab of suet to be found as they don't cut their own meat anymore. Don't bother looking for sheep's kidneys either-you'll just get a weird stare.

Still, if you're looking for a goose, or even exotic cheeses it is worth a visit. I'm not being paid to say that-we do actually shop there. They did give Danny a free lollipop that I'll mention in the interest of full disclosure, but I'm not getting paid to review the place.

They had bone-in lamb for five bucks a pound and we were tempted, but just don't have the freezer space to spare at the moment.

Now if anyone knows where I can purchase exotic offal in Omaha (hey...that would be an awesome name for a band, "Exotic Offal") let me know. I've been threatening my husband with sheep's kidneys for some time now and I ought to make good on it.

3 comments:

Raymond said...

aaaahhhhhHAHAAAHAHAAA!!

Goody said...

If you saw the elderly owner of the place it would be pretty clear that he couldn't "beat his meat" either.

Raymond said...

Perhaps he should open a noodle shop?