Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Ginger Tea Gelatin Squares


I figured out a way to use fresh ginger with gelatin that doesn't kill the setting properties-soak the ginger in boiling water. I'm sure it wouldn't work if you left it in the actual mould, but this infused with enough flavour that it did the trick.

The squares are not terribly sweet as I am serving them with a five-spice pot de creme (I know, there's a special place in hell for people like me) but you could increase the sweetness by a few tablespoons of honey without much harm.

Photos of the complete dessert later.

You Will Need:

2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely minced
1/2 cups boiling water
2 tea bags (I used good old Red Rose, because that's what I drink)
5 tablespoons honey
2 packets Knox gelatin
1/2 cup cold water

Soften the gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water by sprinkling it on top in a small bowl and setting aside.

Pour boiling water over ginger and tea and steep five minutes. Stir in the honey. Strain through a fine sieve. Stir the gelatin, and add to the strained tea. Mix well. Pour into a shallow pan (8x10 works well) and chill until solid-mine took about an hour. Cut into squares.

2 comments:

Muriel OK said...

I just made the ginger tea gelatin. I used yogi Indian tea and added some orange cognac liqueur because that what I have used in my coffee gelatin.

Goody said...

@ Muriel

I'm really happy to hear you made them-sometimes I wonder what happens after people come here doing a search. Orange cognac sounds wonderful. I've only had coffee gelatin the way they do it in Massachusetts which involves an absurd amount of whipped cream ;)