Monday, January 05, 2009

Pickled, In Both Senses Of The Word




Pickled cherries, pickled grapes, blackberries in brandy, and lemon peel in vodka. So. What did you do today?

The recipe for the cherries may be found HERE.

The recipe for the grapes may be found HERE. I added bay leaves although the recipe did not call for them (I have fresh ones). I also used large black grapes rather than red. Because they were quite hard, I pierced them with a sharp knife first.

The blackberries I just tossed into a jar of brandy to infuse for a few days. I'll strain it out and drink it as-is.

The lemon infused vodka is the zest of 6 lemons in 1 quart of vodka. Every day I take it out of the fridge and shake it. After two weeks you can use it as-is, or sweeten it with caster sugar or simple syrup. I froze the extra lemon juice is ice cube trays because Mr. Eat The Blog likes a lemon cube in a large glass of orange soda (better than it sounds).

No comments: