Wednesday, April 04, 2007

...And What Am I? Chopped Liver?



When the request came for chopped liver, I smiled (whilst gagging intellectually) and said “sure.”

I grew up in a home where consuming organ meat was part of the routine and lucky kid that I was, suffering from chronic anaemia-I was given seconds. I have no doubt that the childhood diet led to seventeen years of adulthood as a vegan. This was something I did not look forward to preparing. No one can say I’m not a sport.

It should be pointed out that for chopped liver, one uses chicken livers. For some bizarre reason, coarsely chopped hard-boiled eggs are also part of this delicacy. I’m going to warn you ahead of time-the smell is assertive. Luckily, the smell of chopped onion sautéing in chicken fat should help mask the odour of bloody organs. I realise I’m not making this sound very appetising, am I?

The recipe may be found HERE.

(If 6 tablespoons of chicken fat sounds like a lot-you're right, it is. I used about 4 instead).

A final note-this should be served very well chilled. If you feel compelled to mould it into the shape of a chicken for the sole purpose of serving-up the head on a plate-go for it (and share photos!).



1 comment:

Barry said...

In general, from this reader's personal experience, good chopped liver is best consumed on a matzoh, with some prepared horseradish, and it is very smooth in texture. Yes, it is stinky, but when done right...oh my stars indeed.