Monday, April 02, 2007

Matzo Balls
















Funny thing about this chicken soup is that I degreased it. I know it does not appear that way in the photo, but I really did. What’s more, I pulled most of the fat and skin off before cooking so that I can render them for schmaltz to use in the chopped liver later this week (thankfully, with all my health problems of late, high cholesterol isn’t one of them).

My chicken soup was pretty standard in that I cooked an old fowl slowly with carrots, onion, celery, bay leaves, garlic peppercorns, Italian parsley, thyme, rosemary and salt. Nothing super-secret or unusual.

Pretty much the same story with the matzo balls-simple. People get obsessive over their dumplings. An Anthropology student could have a grand time writing about all the magical properties people attach to their precious soup and its preparation. Well, no dancing about the pot and singing folk songs here. I don’t try anything fancy like club soda or any of the other tricks people insist will make the dumplings lighter. I don’t know, maybe I lack imagination. Anyway, here’s the recipe.

You Will Need:

3 eggs
2 tablespoons oil
½ cup broth or water
½ teaspoon baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
Optional-1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic

Mix eggs, oil and water together. Add matzo meal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and refrigerate for ten minutes. Boil a pot of salted water. Wet your hands and make balls (you should get about ten) and toss into the boiling water. Cover and reduce to simmer. Let cook 30 minutes. Transfer to soup when done.

No comments: