Sunday, April 01, 2007

Braised Lamb Chops With Mushrooms In Wine



We really enjoy lamb at our house, and this time of year it is a particular treat. Our grocer had shoulder chops for a reasonable price so I purchased two without any idea what I’d do with them.

Loin chops I simply prepare in a frying pan with a bit of oil, but shoulders need a bit more work to become tender. After gauging the amount of work I felt like putting into dinner after being out all day, I turned to the web for ideas. The recipe I prepared-lamb chops braised with mushroom and wine sauce, may be found HERE.

It was very simple to prepare (less than an hour from start to finish) and the results were excellent. I have repeatedly had good luck with the recipes I’ve found at Southern Food About.com

So often, the recipes found on the web are untested, or incomplete. I have not found that problem at Southern Food and I encourage readers to check there for recipes that might not, to one’s mind be particularly “Southern”. It’s not all fried chicken and collard greens, you know?

About halfway through dinner, my husband asked if I was tired.

“No, not really. Why?”
“Could you go out and get some more of these?”

How’s that for a ringing endorsement?

*Also pictured, carrots and glazed turnips, mashed potatoes whipped with butter and heavy cream, and herbed toast. I served the meal with a bottle of absurdly inexpensive (four dollars) Cabernet.

No comments: