Monday, March 31, 2008

Carrot/Chick Pea Salad With Citrus And Cumin


Finally, a carrot salad my child will eat. The original recipe is HERE but I made a number of additions and omissions. Still, I never would have thought of the orange syrup reduction and honey with cumin. It was excellent. I'm sure the original is delicious too, but I can't manage carrots unless they are well-cooked and pine nuts are out of the question. I also wanted this to be a main dish, so I added chick peas and feta cheese.


I served it with cous cous (with mint and raisins) and yoghurt. I grilled the last few slices of bread from a loaf of sourdough in olive oil and it came together as a light, early spring meal. Did I mention I have something like ten pounds of carrots in the house right now? This is a very good way to use them up.


You Will Need:


2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/4 cup olive oil

1 pound of carrots, thinly sliced in ovals

salt to taste

1 tablespoon honey

juice of one lemon

1/2 cup black olives

1/2 cup of orange syrup (1 cup orange juice reduced over medium heat to 1/2 cup)

2 cups cooked, chick peas

1/4 cup chopped feta cheese


Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the carrots and cook until fork soft. Stir in the cumin to coat well.


Make the orange syrup.


Combine the orange syrup, lemon juice, olives, chick peas and carrots in a bowl and chill. Before serving, toss with feta cheese.

No comments: