Friday, December 10, 2010

Caramel-Filled Biscuits/Donna Hay


I was lucky enough to pick up a never-used-like-new copy of Off The Shelf at the library sale last week. This is a beautiful book-I'd even suggest paying full price for it, though half a buck is pretty hard to argue with. Seriously, I want to make everything in this cookbook-and that is a very rare reaction for me.

The single complaint I have with these biscuits is the use of condensed milk-I hate the stuff. I don't mind the taste, as much as the smell. Standing over a pan stirring it for fifteen minutes made me want to throw up. Admittedly, that's just me and my insanely sensitive nose, so if you're cool with condensed milk, go ahead and use it because it is a very simple method of making a penuche type filling. Looking around the web, other people complained about the filling not firming up, but I didn't have any trouble. I did not, however use a double boiler-I just set a heavy enameled pan on low heat. Do what works best for you.

You Will Need:

8 ounces butter (I used unsalted, though the recipe did not specify)
1 cup icing (confectioner's) sugar
1 1/2 cups Ap flour
1 cup cornflour (cornstarch)
1 egg (I used large)

Filling:

14 ounce tin of condensed milk
2 ounces butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets. The recipe says to use a food processor, but I no longer have one, so I mixed the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, and then beat in an egg with a wooden spoon. Worked fine. Divide dough into 50 pieces, and roll into small balls. Flatten slightly with the back of a spoon, and chill on sheet for ten minutes. Bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove to a rack. When completely cool, fill with frosting.

For Filling:

In a pan over boiling water (I skipped this part and just worked on a low burner) combine milk, butter, and syrup. Stirring, cook until it deepens in colour and thickens-mine took 15 minutes over low, direct heat. I transfered mine to a bowl and let it cool for the ten minutes in the directions. I think moving it out of the hot pan helps it to set, but again, that's only my experience. Fill cookies, and return to a rack to cool and set completely, They will harden as they sit. Makes 25 beautiful little sandwich cookies.

No comments: