Friday, December 10, 2010

Corn Fritters-Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook 1950


You know how it is-you score a .19 cent tin of corn at the supermarket, and get itchy to use it. These are pretty quick to throw together. I was tempted to fry them in beef tallow, but I used some sort of, "healthy" oil instead. They're still deep fried, you know.

You Will need:

2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup AP flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salad oil
1 cup tinned corn, drained well
Oil for frying

Heat deep oil in a heavy pot to 375 degrees F.

Whisk the eggs well. beat in milk, then sift dry ingredients together. Add to batter. Stir in oil. Fold in corn. Fry by spoonfuls in hot fat, turning once. Drain on racks. They don't keep well, so eat-up!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We had these growing up - same Betty Crocker recipe. I still make them and everyone loves 'em! Still use Mom's old cookbook frequently too. Comfort food that warms the soul and brings back great memories of when everything served was made from scratch. Still cook that way myself. Can honestly say I've never opened a box of cake mix, Bisquick, etc. and proud of it!

Unknown said...

We ate these when I was s kid. Mom used her Betty Crocker cookbook so much that it fell apart. Love these fritters! Takes me back to my childhood kitchen

Ellen said...

Yay! This is the recipe I was looking for...Christmas Day 2021! Thank you!

Goody said...

@Ellen
I'm so glad I could help. Merry Christmas!