Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Escarole is In

-as are a ton of other early crops. I still need to deal with the potatoes today or tomorrow. I don't know why I'm so nervous about growing potatoes-it doesn't sound that complicated?

I'm still intrigued by the idea of growing them in bags, or boxes that you remove a plank and harvest from the bottom. Anyone tried either method with success?

I'm afraid Danny's seasonal allergies arrived early this year and the poor dear is giving the "allergic salute" wiping at his nose with the back of his hand (yes, he does have handkerchiefs, but that would require reaching into his pocket, where he's stuffed god-only-knows whatever it is children find outside and decide to carry home. Mostly, we've had rocks, melted Milk Duds, and the occasional brochure. Last week, it was a subscription card to National Geographic which he filled out and asked his papa to post, which he happily did. I don't think Danny wants to look at topless women in exotic locales-I think he was lured in by the promise of a free wall map). So it is a Benadryl kind of afternoon, which in Danny's case means bouncing off the walls. I should probably give him a dust rag and tell him to get started on the bookcases.

Dudes, we are only a few months away from enjoying escarole soup!

2 comments:

Janice said...

My one and only attempt at container gardening with potatoes was unsuccessful. The plants sprouted but, the potatoes rotted. I'm sure the cause was poor drainage. Go ahead, make a mound of dirt and bury the potato. After the plant blooms and dies back, the spuds will be ready to dig. Dig them by hand...shovels can easily cut into the crop. Good Luck!

Goody said...

Good to know, thank you.

I know what we'll be doing tomorrow.