Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sugar 'Em Up Apple Snacks



Janice has led me down a path I never thought I'd go...the path at the grocer leading to the crescent rolls in a tube. The recipe is HERE, and I must say, they look much better baked with Mountain Dew than with Green River. When I removed them from the pan, I was reminded of that gloppy green stuff children used to play with...slime? Was that what it was called? It looked like that.

Yep, the photos are quite out of focus-I think that adds to the classiness of the thing. Remember when crescent rolls from a tube were considered "special occasion" food? Well, they were at my house-and then they were (like everything else) rationed so we wouldn't get fat. I'm pretty sure if my mother were alive, she wouldn't approve of this dessert...or she'd try to make it with sugar-free soda. She used to do this thing with baking apples in diet ginger ale with a few, tiny cinnamon hearts tossed in the pan for colour. *shudders*.

So these won't win any beauty contests, but I have to admit, they are really good. My head hurts from the sugar, and my teeth are aching. Probably not a good dessert for diabetics, or people that care about artificial ingredients, food colouring, additives, fat, sugar...you get the idea. Still, I ate it, and would probably eat another if I could (fortunately, my body overrides my brain so I don't suffer that problem of overeating before getting full. I'm full after three bites...three extremely buttery, sugary, bites). Your level of self-control may vary, so plan accordingly. The dog looks interested, but these are too good for the dog...well, my dog anyway.

I was tempted to save this for an April Fool's post and suggest using organic butter, pure cane sugar, Fleur de Sel,freshly grated cinnamon, and any other expensive ingredient I could think of that would go nicely with soda and crescent rolls.

Thanks, Janice!

2 comments:

Janice said...

Let's watch and see if your rave review sends my hit counter up. I like experiments!

Goody said...

I'm sure my three regular readers will be right over ;)