Sunday, March 13, 2011

Gladiolas, etc.

I didn't plan to buy much at Earl May-maybe a few seed packets, but then I saw the glads. If you buy 25 bulbs at $10.00 you get a $2.26 discount. That's pretty good, and you get to select the assortment you want, not what was packaged together. So yes, there's some bulb digging ahead-but really, I couldn't pass that up. Well, of course I could-but where's the fun in that?

Other things that found their way home in the bag:

Dwarf Borlotto Beans
Fava Beans
Hollyhocks-Summer Carnival
Delphiniums-Pacific hybrid
Miss Wilmott Sweet Pea

Oh, then I stopped at Sears and bought a few more five dollar dresses because they had five dollar dresses. Come on people-that's cheaper than charity shops. Danny got a flannel shirt for a buck, sweat pants for three, an argyle vest, and two pairs of dress pants. Mr. ETB got a new blade for the lawnmower (yep, almost time to start mowing-ugh).

I have seeds germinating all over my house. That's actually kind of nice, there's a certain hopeful optimism in having seeds germinating everywhere. How lucky I am to live in a place with so many windows (save for that time the tornado blew them all out, but really, how often (touch wood) does that happen?

Speaking of severe weather-the Severe Weather Symposium is coming up. That's a really fun time over at UNL, if anyone would like to attend. I'll get more information posted as the schedule is set, but the seminars are always interesting, and there's tons of stuff for children to do (and freebies galore, because you never know when you'll need a poster explaining the water table, or ozone). Obviously, I spent a great deal of time on Earth science last week, and I expect to do the same this week. I still can't really process what I'm seeing.

Posting might be a bit slow this week as we are just past the halfway point of reading the Iliad aloud, and Danny has (finally) mastered multiplication. I want to get through the readings before the start of Summer session, so I might hold off on division a while, though he's pretty determined to get it over with .

Danny has been going through a fruit and cottage cheese stage, and we found out this week he can eat melon without any mouth sensitivity. I can't, and neither can Mr. ETB, so Danny was delighted to find out he can indulge in cantaloupe without being required to share. Kiwi, watermelon, and some plums rounded out a few days worth of fruit salad. No complaints here-at the moment, cottage cheese costs much less than milk, per serving. The melon was kinda pricey this time of year, but eh-if you can get a kid to eat that sort of thing willingly, it is worth forking over the cash. I've paid more for worse nutritional value.

At some point, I'll have to carve the Viking ship out of a watermelon...it will be worth it, just to see Danny's face. OK, there's something to work on.

No comments: