Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nut-Free Chocolate Spread


This is pretty darn close to the chocolate spreads in stores, sans the hazelnuts (or any nuts for that matter). It chills firm, but still spreadable. I followed the recipe in my 1950 edition of the Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook for Dark Chocolate Filling. Because it is 2011, not 1950, I cooked the sauce longer to ensure the egg yolk would be safe. I also strained it through a fine sieve and didn't catch any scrambled egg-but I'd still do it to be sure.

Think, Chocolate Curd...if there were such a thing. Thankfully, it only makes about 1/2 pint, so you can't get into too much trouble if you decide to grab a spoon and sit in front of the telly.

I have to go bake wholemeal biscuits to spread it on...or maybe I'll just go grab a spoon...I wonder what's on tonight besides storm warnings?


You Will Need:

1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon butter

Put it all in a heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly (especially at the end when it might scorch). Cook until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat, strain through a sieve and cool at room temperature. Cover, and keep chilled.

2 comments:

Birgit said...

I made this with bittersweet and milk chocolates and left out the sugar. When I let it boil, the butter fat separated - it all went back together after I let it cool. The next time, I cooked up the butter, cream, and egg yolk while whisking, then stirred in the chocolate off the heat after it had bubbled a few times - it all melted into a nice, smooth mass! It's very hard when chilled, though - I took it out a day before I needed it to let it soften.

Goody said...

I'm not sure I'd let it sit out for a day before using, as it still is egg based. A few seconds of placing the jar in a microwave, or a pan of warm water ought to bring it back to spreading consistency. You don't need to boil it hard-just bring it "to" a boil, then remove from heat.

I know these things can vary by butterfat content of chocolate, how cold your fridge is, etc. but I do appreciate you letting me know what went wrong. As this is a rather old post, I ought to try it again to see if I can replicate it. Anyway, thanks for letting me know your experince.