Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Quick Coating For Baked Haddock (and other fish as well)

I arrived home late, but was still able to toss this together quickly. For years, I breaded fish with crushed-up Ritz crackers. I still think that makes a perfectly acceptable coating, but this one uses up that steady supply of breadcrumbs I seem to have.

You Will Need:

A handful of fresh parsley (use either kind, I'm not about to dictate what sort of parsley you should like)
1 heaping tablespoon chopped, preserved lemon peel, or the grated zest of 1 lemon
2 large gloves garlic, minced
Salt/Pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon

With a large knife, combine everything and chop again (and again, and again) until it is quite fine and the lemon and garlic are practically a paste. Combine with a couple cups of coarse, dry breadcrumbs. Toss well.

To coat, and bake fish:

Season fillet, dredge in plain flour, then in beaten egg. Roll in parsley/breadcrumb mixture and place in a well-buttered pan. Dot with additional butter and bake in a 450 degree F. oven until it flakes-I did about 15 minutes for haddock. Cod would take longer.

No comments: