Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Meatless Pot-Pie With Oil Crust Pastry


I used the oil crust recipe from my 1966 edition of Better Homes and Gardens Pie and Cake Cookbook. The boys seemed pleased, so I'll assume it made an acceptable crust.

The recipe I'm providing for the filling is really only a suggestion-you should use what you have. When my vegetable bins are running down to a few odds and ends, this is one way of dealing not-quite enough of any one thing. I haven't been feeling well of late, so I'm attempting to prepare dishes that will last a few days. They can only eat so much curry (and really, they don't complain and are gracious about it) so tonight I made a pot pie.

Have you noticed how most things taste better enclosed in pastry? Amazing how that works.


I doubled the recipe here, as I made a rather large pie. The amount given will make a double crust for a standard 9 inch pie plate. I don't think there's anything particularly special about this crust (thought it did handle nicely) but it was really very simple to make. It was all I could do today to stir, flatten, and plop this into a baking dish.


For the crust:

2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup oil (I used corn oil)
5-6 tablespoons milk or water (I used milk and ended up needing more at the end as my flour was still dry).

Combine flour and salt. Pour oil and milk into a measuring cup and do not stir-add all at once, tossing lightly with a fork. Divide in 2. Roll each between waxed paper to fit pan.

For the filling:

(I used the following)

1 tin pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 tin corn, rinsed and drained
2 cups finely diced, boiled new potatoes
1 large turnip, lightly boiled until just soft
1 cup cooked peas
5 carrots, finely chopped and lightly boiled just until tender
Rosemary, thyme, 1 bay leaf, black pepper, to taste
Chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons dried onion flakes (I felt too ill to chop onions, but these work great in a pinch)
2 tablespoons cooking oil plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted

Combine all, set aside.


For the sauce:

4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons AP flour
2 cups milk (I used 2%)

In a small pan over medium heat, melt butter. When sizzling, add flour and cook, mixing with a wooden spoon until it foams-about 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until it thickens and comes to a boil. Pour over combined filling above and mix well. Pour into dish lined with pastry. Cover with top pastry. Cut vents and brush top with heavy cream. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F. for about 1 hour or until nicely browned and filing is bubbling up through vents. Let stand a few minutes before cutting and serving.

No comments: