Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Strange Calm...

The wind was racing through here not five minutes ago. Now, all is calm...dead calm. I mean, there isn't a hint of movement in the air which is heavy, humid and seventy degrees F. If you don't happen to live in the American Midwest, let me explain-that ain't normal. No sir, it sure ain't.

The swallow building a nest by my front door (just like every year) is freaking out because it has suddenly turned dark. Really dark. I'm going to open the door to the storm cellar anyway-just for an airing out (and to chase out any farm cats that might have been overwintering down there), and check the batteries in the flashlights and weather radio. I know it is nearly April, and officially spring, and all that but my brain just isn't ready for severe weather season. Obviously nature doesn't give a toss what I'm ready for, because it looks like we're going to get clobbered any minute.

I really hope we don't loose power tonight, what with a freezer full of dead deer and such.

I love spring when it is daffodils and pea shoots, but I could do without the tornadoes, hail and other joys. I know it has been three years since the tornado, and I wouldn't say I was traumatised by it, but I do keep an extra keen eye on the weather when it starts looking like this.

Bah!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow. You're getting worried about spring/summer severe weather, and we're still struggling through the tail end of a blizzard. I haven't been able to get to the city in over a week because the highway conditions are so horrid.

Goody said...

They did get a tornado about 50 miles from here, but no one was harmed (lost a few grain bins, etc.)However...You'll love this-we're getting three inches of snow tonight. Seriously. I was at the market and people were frenzy-buying milk/eggs/bread. Even if it sticks, it will be gone in a day as the ground is so warm here.

No man, what we get is NOTHING even close to what you guys endure up there on the Canadian prairies-but not to worry, you'll soon skip spring completely and go straight into ungodly, humid heat.