Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Which Side Are You On Boys?

I had only given labour history a brief introduction around the holiday in the fall-then the shit hit the fan in Wisconsin. Danny's news comes primarily from the radio, mostly Democracy Now, and As it Happens because those are the shows on in the kitchen when I'm making his lunch and dinner. I hadn't made a point of explaining union contracts to Danny, though he did get a kick out of seeing my old union withdrawal card (so you don't have to re-pay joining dues if you get another job in the same union) and he has a few books on what unions do. Anyway, I wish I could take credit for this, but I suspect this is Amy Goodman's doing:

The contract:
I like the fact we're only a bread baking union, none of that middle class apricot cake baking for us!

The Union membership card:
I'm putting this in my wallet for the next time I happen upon a picket line. I don't know what I was pretending at age six, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't organising unions.

No comments: