Tuesday, March 08, 2011

You Don't Get A Smile Like That With Bisquick

Yes, I do have a poster of the Canadian Prime Ministers hanging in my kitchen. Before you go all nativist on me, be assured that Danny has a place mat bearing the likenesses of the U.S. presidents. I'm also aware my child needs a haircut. Gee whiz, he really needs a haircut.
Would you look at that? Golden, buttery, perfect pancakes. Dang! I'm finally learning how to cook.


I made a dozen crepes, and Danny had the broken ones with jam and chocolate chips. Normally, more would fail, but either I'm getting really skilled with a frying pan (doubtful) or the recipe is exceptional. I let it rest three hours, for what that's worth. I'll post the dessert later, after I serve it.

From Mastering the Art of French Cooking:

1 cup cold water
1 cup cold milk
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups AP flour
4 tablespoons melted butter

Whisk together the water, milk and eggs. Combine salt and flour. Whsisk in the flour to the liquid mixture, then add the butter. Mix well and chill, covered at least two hours before using. Makes about 12 crepes.

No comments: