Friday, February 22, 2008

Peeps?

I've begun searching for a Simnel Cake recipe for Mothering Sunday that does not include the Marzipan (allergies). In the process of looking, I came to realise that of late, the cakes are held off for Easter Sunday rather than the fourth Sunday in Lent ("Mothering" Sunday). I suppose with waiting, one is freer to use rich items like eggs and butter but as it is essentially a fruitcake with a marzipan centre and topping, it really doesn't require very much dairy (if any at all).

I must admit to being flabbergasted at seeing some examples topped with marshmallow chicks and bunnies! The eleven balls are traditionally placed atop the cake to represent the true disciples (Judas gets left off, therefore only eleven balls). I'm not saying it's wrong (not exactly) or even inappropriate to top one's Simnel cake with Marshmallow Peeps, but it is disarming-at least that first glance. I know what you're thinking (oh, when will you guys just give up trying to stay one thought ahead of m? We've been blogging here for how long? Of course I know what you're thinking!) and no, I don't think re-creating The Last Supper from fondant and sugar paste to top the cake would be quite the thing I'm looking for either. Still, I am left with what to make the traditional round balls from, if not marzipan. It may well end up sugar paste, but I have a bit of time to think about it.

So. When does your family have their Simnel cake? 4th Sunday in Lent, or Easter? If you have a recipe you'd like to share, please feel free to post it in the comments as well…not that anyone ever leaves comments (Oh, once in a while Page does, but the rest of you are hurting my feelings. I know the blog gets hits from looking at the Tracker. Boo, hoo, hoo, sniffle, sniffle, "I'll be shoveling cake in my mouth between lonesome sobs if anyone needs me…boo hoo."

No comments: