Monday, February 25, 2008

Sour Cherry Pie




I had made some incredibly good vanilla ice cream earlier in the day-so I had to make a sour cherry pie to go with it (really, I had to. It was a pie emergency). Good thing I had a freezer full of pie cherries.

As you can see, it was a very juicy pie with very little thickening outside of a bit of flour. Usually, I make cornstarch-thickened fruit pies, but this seemed a better match with the ice cream. As soon as I took the first bite I knew my guess was correct. Forget about getting perfect looking slices (it won't happen) but scoop it up with a spoon and serve with plenty of sweet, fresh vanilla ice cream. It's like a July. Except that it is February. And there's a blizzard outside. Yay for pie and freezers to hold cherries!

You Will Need:

Pastry for a 1-crust pie (two, if you do a lattice)
1 1/3 cups sugar
4 cups frozen sour cherries
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon (I know that sounds odd, but trust me)
2 tablespoons butter, for dotting top
Cream and sugar for brushing crust

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients and then toss in cherries. Mix well to coat. Pour into prepared crust, dot with butter and top as desired. Brush crust with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 35-40 minutes. You may need to cover the edge with foil if it browns too quickly.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh, I wish I were there. Sour cherry pie is my absolute favourite. My mouth is watering just looking at the pictures.

Goody said...

I'm still sort of shocked the frozen cherries worked that well.

Danny wouldn't eat any because he does not like "sourpussses." He thinks the word sour means lemon now and rejects without trying. I should have called it "sweet cherries" and he might have tried it. Oh well, more for me .