Friday, July 18, 2008

A Couple Questions

1) Why do people butter their steaks? This shows up quite a bit in older cookbooks and my husband seems to remember his mother doing it. Why? Does it improve the flavour/texture of a less expensive cut of meat, or is it a "more is better" type of thinking? I've never done it and the only thing my mother ever put on a steak was salt and pepper-maybe some garlic salt if she was feeling fancy. This is a very new concept to me.

2) Cookie scoops. Unless you are operating a bakery, why would you need uniform drop cookies? Isn't the charm the sort of uneven nature of them? You can buy these little scoops in a number of sizes but it seems so silly to me. People rave about how wonderful it is to have all their cookies the same size, but I just have to wonder why that's important? Am I missing something here?

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I've never heard of anyone buttering a steak. My father does keep a jar of bacon fat to smear on his roast beef though.

I prefer my cookies to be uneven, I find that if I strive for perfection, well, I'm bound to be disappointed :)

Goody said...

Wow-bacon fat on roast beef. That's so horrible and wonderful at the same time.

Jenn said...

He claims it keeps the meat from drying out while it's in the oven. I don't know if it works, but his roast beef is the best I've ever tasted in my life.

Goody said...

*nods*

I get it now-I was picturing him smearing bacon fat on a sliced roast beef.