Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Nectarine Chutney


I've been trying to think of something interesting to say about nectarines. Yeah, I still haven't thought of anything beyond, "I sure like nectarines." The addition of 3/4 cup lime juice in the recipe makes it all the more delightful.

This is a small batch recipe. I was able to get three pints from it with about a tablespoon leftover. That's close. On the other hand, you could make it and end up with four. I don't suppose it would hurt to heat an extra jar-just in case.

This probably wasn't the wisest thing to do on a 95 degree day. It's expected to be miserable through next week which is a drag as I wanted to take Danny to the antique thresher show this weekend. Maybe we can send "Mr. Eat The Blog" as he isn't bothered by direct sunlight.

I'm not sure what to make next. I probably ought to pickle a batch of green tomatoes since I have them. Maybe some chow chow, or pickled green beans?

When the light in here is better I'll snap a picture of my rapidly filling shelves of home preserved foods-it is really quite impressive.

Adapted from The Ball Blue Book Of Preserving

You Will Need:

2 quarts sliced nectarines, peeled and pitted (about 15)
2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar (5 % acidity)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped crystalised ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 chili pepper. seeded and finely chopped (I used a banana pepper that was on the strong side)
3/4 cup lime juice

Combine nectarines and salt. let stand twenty minutes. Combine sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Add the nectarines and cook until transparent. With a slotted spoon, remove the nectarines to another bowl. Add everything else and cook until onions are tender. Add the nectarines back in and cook until thick, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. carefully ladle into pint jars, remove air bubbles and wipe threads clean with a cloth. Cover with a heated lid and secure bands carefully and finger-tight. Immerse in a water bath canner for ten minutes. Remove lid and let cool for five minutes before removing to cool. Let stand 12 hours before testing seals.

No comments: