Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Scallion Pancakes


The dumplings in the foreground will be posted in detail at another time. Tonight, I want to talk pancakes-scallion ones.

I've never seen these anywhere but Boston, and honestly, in the ten years I spent there I probably ate them three or four times. My husband really likes them, but I found them kind of doughy and unpleasant. I now realise this was due to them cooling as we waited for delivery. Oh, when these came out of the hot fat it was clear we'd been missing out on something terrific.

The recipe may be found here.

You're going to want a dipping sauce to go with them if you aren't lucky enough to have a pint of my homemade plum sauce:

2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 green onion, finely sliced
pinch of sugar

Mix well and let flavours absorb for an hour or so in the fridge before serving.

No comments: