Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Vegetable Kugel


I wasn't going to post this recipe since it really isn't a recipe at all but a tossing together odds and ends. When I made it at 9 this morning, I was pretty sure I'd be confined to bed for the rest of the day-then I remembered I have a three year old. Have I mentioned how old I am? let me put it this way, I have friends that are grandparents. Most people assume we are Danny's grandparents, though truth be told, my mother-in-law could (easily) beat me in a race around the block.

So yeah, the three year old was having none of this staying in bed and resting business, so I made dinner early and then did something I swore I'd never do-at least before I became a parent. I gave him a new toy I'd been saving as a special surprise...just so he would let me lie down for half an hour. Matchbox cars-the best .99 cents you can spend for peace and quiet. Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, my beautiful noodle kugel. No, not the sweet kind with fruit and cream cheese (blech), but a meatless vegetable version.

You can make this fancier with ricotta and real onions/garlic, etc. It was all I could do to pour some dried onions and garlic into a bowl and honestly, it turned out really well. I thought I'd get a couple meals out of it, but there was hardly enough left for Mr. Eat The Blog to take for lunch tomorrow.

You Will Need:

1 bag of broad egg noodles (I used the store brand because it was .70 cents a bag-and good) cooked and drained
2 cups cottage cheese-drained
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 box frozen spinach-cooked drained and squeezed dry
5 carrots, peeled and grated
1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large casserole dish or a 9x13 pan.

Combine everything, pour in pan and bake 40 minutes to 1 hour or until nicely browned on top. Serve hot or cold with plain yoghurt or sour cream.

No comments: