Friday, December 07, 2007

Apple Turnovers


I had four large Cortland apples-not enough for pie, but not so terrific for eating out of hand-naturally, I baked them in pastry!


Having never made apple turnovers and lacking a recipe, I simply made my standard two-crust pie recipe and filled it in squares with the chopped apples, 1/4 cup currants, 1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/8 teaspoon allspice and two tablespoons honey. I dotted each pocket with butter and crimped shut with a fork. Vent in a few places with a knife. I lightly brushed each with milk and sprinkled generously with sugar.


In a pre-heated oven (400 degrees F.) I placed the turnovers on a greased cookie sheet and baked them until well-browned-about 20 minutes. I then cooled them on a rack.


Easy as...turnovers!
It really was easy, considering how miserable I'm feeling. I'm sure it would go even faster if I didn't feel like I'm on my deathbed (I'm not-I just feel like I am. Whine, whine, whine...wine? Hey, now that's a thought...).
Hope everyone has a lovely weekend (we're getting more snow-hooray!).

No comments: