Sunday, December 02, 2007

Applesauce Fruitcake 2007 Version


It seems every year I make a different fruitcake. This year's is based on the previous year's applesauce fruitcake with variations on the liquor and fruit. I should think so long as the proportions are kept the same, it really doesn't matter much which combination you use. I also eliminated cinnamon altogether from the cake and used quite a bit of crystalised ginger (because I had it on hand, and I like it). In other words, the recipe is a template, though I'd stick close to the original proportions for eggs, butter and flour.

Since I enjoy making fruitcakes more than eating them (oh no you will not make the obvious joke) I'll try out a number of recipes in the coming weeks-and if you're on our list of people expecting gifts well-I hope you like glaced fruit.

You Will Need:

A Three year old to assist with mixing (yeah, you can do it yourself if you don't have a toddler handy)
½ cup unsalted butter
1-cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon allspice
¼ cup brandy
1 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
1-pound raisins
1-cup sultanas
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Grated zest of 2 oranges
1 cup green glaced cherries
1-cup red glaced cherries
1 cup dried sweet cherries
¼ cup diced crystalised ginger
1-cup currants


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour a two and one half quart-three quart cake tin (or springform, which I what I used).

Cream the butter and sugar together until light. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well.

Sift together the dry ingredients and reserve 3 tablespoons.

Stir in half of the flour to the batter and alternate with the brandy. Add the applesauce. Toss the fruits and zest with flour and add to the batter. Mix well and pour into tin. Bake 90 minutes, but begin checking on the hour. Because it is such a large cake, take care that the centre is baked through. Cool in pan twenty minutes then unmould and cool completely. Poke holes in the top with a skewer and give it a little drink of additional brandy, if you like. Wrap the cake tightly in foil and store it for at least a week. Keep in a cool place.

No comments: