Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Gold Cake


I'll say this; at least my really bad colds wait until snow days. This is my second bad cold in as many weeks and it has conveniently hit at its worst on a day when my husband is stuck at home due to weather.


What couldn't wait however, were the seven egg yolks sitting in my fridge leftover from all the batches of cookie frosting that only required whites. I really didn't feel like baking today. Fortunately, the recipe for Gold Cake from my 1950 edition of the Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook is pretty straightforward and simple. I used the "creaming" method as opposed to the "double quick" one as I've had a few bad experiences using that technique as they published it in 1950. Creaming butter and sugar just isn't that big of a deal to me-sick or not. I made a few changes like omitting lemon extract and using all vanilla and using skim milk.


The cake is rather plain, but light and fluffy. My husband claims it smelled delicious baking, something I'll have to take his word for as I currently can't smell anything. My plan is to serve it split with whipped cream and tinned peaches for Danny and brandied pears for us. In my present state, I might just go for the brandy syrup the pears are preserved in and skip the cake. I wonder if it would be good in tea? Hmm.


You Will Need:


9x13 pan. If using glass bake at 325 degrees F. Otherwise preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


1/4 cup shortening

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1 2/3 cups sugar

3/8 cup egg yolks (about 7)

2 1/3 cups all purpose flour

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Grease and flour A 9X13 pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 for glass or dark coated pans).


Cream together until light and fluffy the butter, shortening and sugar. Set aside.


Beat egg yolks until thick and light and they form a ribbon. Set aside.


Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.


Combine milk with vanilla in a measuring cup.


Add the yolks to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix well. Add flour alternating with milk. Mix well but don't overmix.


Pour into prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes. You should really begin checking after about 25 minutes as ovens vary quite a bit. Give it the toothpick test, and let it cool in the pan.

No comments: