Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Look What Mama Was Up Late Decorating


These cookies are for the birthday cake I'm making for Danny (you only turn three once). Instead of a sheet cake, I'm doing a very (very) large round layer (still had the pan from a tiered cake I made for someones 40th birthday that had to feed the whole office) in a farm scene. Hey, he asked for a "tractor cake" and this was how I interpreted it.


The top will have green tinted flaked coconut for grass, the tractor cookies and ducks and bunnies (the only animal cutters I had). I'll try frosting some graham crackers to construct a barn-but if that fails, I have more than enough tractors to cover the surface. My plan was to stand them ringing the perimeter.


Along the sides of the cake, I made small flower cookies which should brighten it up a bit. I may opt for less is more once I start putting it together but the worst that will happen is we'll have extra cookies. I didn't have a cutter for the tractors and had to resort to making a cardboard template again. How much do you want to bet that my little tractor expert will notice I left some feature off the tractor? Or that the smokestack on a New Holland is different than the smokestack on a Case?


Danny's birthday isn't until next week, by life keeps intruding on my plans around here and I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the basics done so that they only need to be assembled. The cake is already in the freezer. Helpful hint-avoid cake recipes that call for eight egg whites stiffly beaten when your stand mixer is broken. I resorted to a copper bowl and a whisk but damn, my shoulder hurts. Eight egg whites is quite a lot of egg whites.


Anyway, I was so excited about these cookies I just had to share pictures ahead of the actual cake. It's OK-Danny doesn't read the blog...that I know of.

No comments: