Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Make Your Own...

Incense.

Danny found my (very) old incense burner, and was fascinated by it. I really don't care for incense. Thankfully, it sort of lost popularity in the last forty years and I'm only occasionally confronted with it. Unluckily for me, I was recently confronted with it-the patchouli/sandalwood/some horrible mixture designed to disguise the smell of fresh paint (!) so I wasn't all that receptive to the idea of Danny putting the old burner to use. Unless you've been smoking dope, there really isn't a good, legitimate use for burning incense...well, OK I guess they swing the incense around at mass, but you know what I mean. The stuff is designed to cover other odours (Oh, I know, you expect a joke about the "stench of organised religion, don't you?). I should also make an "opium of the masses" joke as well.

Well, five seconds of hitting the search engine let me know that I can make use of those dried orange peels, cinnamon sticks and Turkish apricots. Bind the mixture with some honey, make cones, and you've got homemade incense that won't cause your eyes to water (hopefully). I think I could tolerate that-and it would be educational for the youngster. Hey, skills are skills. You never know, there may be a great incense renaissance , and he'll be armed with the dried fruit and recipes. I mean, they've brought back big hair and false eyelashes, so it isn't completely outside the realm of possibility.

I'll keep you updated on our progress.

No comments: