Monday, December 01, 2008

Apple Raisin Crumble


The recipe comes from Granny Stark's Apple Cookbook by, Olwen Woodier. I thought this was a very good crumble, though a bit richer than what I'm used to. I omitted pouring additional melted butter over the top as I thought a stick of butter to four apples was already sufficient. I also didn't have any oranges, so I substituted tangerines with great results.

You Will Need:

4 medium Granny Smith apples, pelled cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup golden raisins (I used regular)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange rind (I used tangerine)
1/4 cup orange (tngerine( juice
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart baking dish.

Peel, core and slice apples into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place in bowl with the raisins, brown sugar, zest and juice. Stir in the allspice. Pour into baking dish.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, remaining brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle on top of apples.

Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden. Serve still slightly warm.

No comments: