Wednesday, December 18, 2013

That Was Lucky

The colour is deeper-more mustard than butterscotch but the light in here is terrible.



This bakelite bracelet was being sold in a bundle of cheap plastic bracelets for $2.00 at a thrift shop in Belleview, Nebraska. That store gets the best stuff. I don't know if it has something to do with being located next to Stratcom, and all the military families that move around and donate stuff before moves, or if it has an older population with good taste. Whatever it is, I've found better stuff in that town than anywhere else. I didn't want to stand there rubbing the various bracelets to see if they gave off the familiar chemical smell of bakelite, so I bought them figuring at worst, I'd have a few plastic spacers. I got out to the car, rubbed this one furiously, and whoa! We passed it round for everyone to catch a whiff. If anyone saw us, we must have looked mad, rubbing a bangle and sniffing it. Still,  not bad for two bucks.

The shape is strange, somewhat oval, but I like the way it looks on my arm, though it does not look good stacked with rounder bangles. The bracelet feels better than any others I own-thin, but strangely sturdy.

I'm glad to have it as I'm trying to work more yellow hues into my wardrobe to counteract all the grey I seem to own (I don't know why, I just wear grey like some people wear black).

No comments: