Friday, March 20, 2009

The Beauty Of The Rice Krispie Treat

They were never one of my favourite sweets, until the oven broke. Now, I find myself turning to them often as a quick dessert, but I can't resist jazzing them up.

I laugh a bit at recipes that specify "use the freshest marshmallows available." That is pure idiocy. Go ahead and use the ones that are all clumped together in a ball-you're only going to melt them anyway.

I've found that melting chocolate into the butter/marshmallow mixture makes them taste better (well yeah, no kidding, eh?) and they seem to keep a bit longer as well. You can reverse the proportions for white and dark chocolate depending what sort of a mood you're in. I've topped them with melted caramel as well as malted milk balls, though the milk balls got a bit chewy after a day or so. I haven't tried mixing powdered malt directly into the mixture-but there is always next week.

You Will Need:

6 cups marshmallow
6 cups rice cereal
4 tablespoons butter
3 squares melted white chocolate
2 squares melted bittersweet chocolate

Melt the butter and marshmallows over low heat in a large heavy pot. Remove from heat, stir in the white chocolate and mix in the rice cereal. Mix well. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Press in firmly. Pour bittersweet chocolate over top in drizzles. Let cool. When firm and chocolate has dried, cut into squares and wrap tightly in clingfilm.

No comments: