Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fluffy Strawberry Pie


I know you're wondering how I made a crust without a working oven. After Christmas, Danny talked me into buying him a tin of gingerbread cookies because the container was shaped like a train. It was 70% off so I bought it for him. I removed the sealed bags of cookies and tossed them in the pantry figuring I'd find a use for them.

I crushed 2 cups of gingerbread cookies and mixed them with 4 tablespoons melted butter. I pressed that into the pie plate and chilled it.

You Will Need:

1 pre-made crust of your choice
1 cup pureed strawberries
1/4 cup water
1 3 oz. box of strawberry gelatin (lemon would have been better, but I didn't have it)
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (measured before whipping)whipped
Fresh strawberries to decorate

In a saucepan, combine the strawberry puree and water. Bring just to a boil and stir in the gelatin. Stir to dissolve. Remove from heat, stir in the sugar and whisk until dissolved. Chill until mixture mounds on a spoon.

Beat until fluffy (it really will puff up in volume). Fold in the whipped cream. Pour into pie crust. Decorate as desired and chill several hours or overnight.

No comments: