Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fried Strawberry Rhubarb Pies


As promised, here are the fried pies.

The filling from yesterday was a bit thin for this, so I added about a tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in a couple tablespoons of water to it. I heated it over medium heat in a saucepan until it thickened. let it cool, and used it to fill the pastry. You could use anything to fill fried pies-I have frozen lemon curd on hand-I should have tried it. Oh well, maybe next time.

The crust is just standard pie crust pastry.

It helps to cut the circles and place them on a baking sheet to chill in the fridge before filling. I always give them another quick roll before dabbing the filling in the centre. Seal them well with a fork and fry in very hot fat. If your fat isn't hot, they will absorb too much and be greasy.

Drain them on a rack over a pan to prevent them getting soggy (don't use paper towels). Make a glaze of confectioner's sugar and water and pour over still-hot pies. Cool before serving.

2 comments:

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Okay, my Mom and I just got done drooling over these. We're always on the look out for more Rhubarb recipes. How does your pie dough do in the inside after it's been fried? Does it cook through well? I've never fried pie dough. Or we even thought it would be good as a fried bread scone filling!

YUM, thanks for the recipe!

Goody said...

They hold up fine, but don't last more than a day as they absorb a good deal of fat. I've never fried in lard though-that might help with that.

You could also use a dough with yoghurt-like they use for Indian samosas which hold up well to frying.

Goody