Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mackerel Mousse


Last Boxing Day, I found myself at a discount grocery chain that had large tins of mackerel on sale for a dollar. I bought several. I wasn't expecting much, but figured I could use it as a substitute for tinned salmon in a pinch. To my surprise, I opened a tin today and found lovely pieces of fish carefully packed and ready to be used as the intended ingredient rather than a replacement. I wish I'd bought them all.

The original recipe called for smoked mackerel. This worked just as nicely, though obviously it is a different sort of thing. Adapted from, Jane Pettigrew's Tea Time, 1986

You Will Need:

8 ounces mackerel
2 ounces butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 chopped scallions
Salt and pepper

Whip the butter and cream cheese together until light. Beat in the rest. Chill several hours before serving.

No comments: