Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Braised New Potatoes



This is based on a recipe based on an Alice Water's recipe in the current issue of Gourmet. They made some changes, as did I. Instead of fingerling potatoes (which would be impossible to find around here anyway) I used some lovely waxy, new potatoes freshly dug out of the Nebraskan soil. Maine's got nothin' on these taters.

I couldn't see wasting all that (homemade) butter, potato starch and lovely calories left in the pan liquid, so I reduced it over high heat and poured it over the potatoes before serving. Curiously, it was one of the few things I've been able to stomach in quite some time (maybe I should just get a funnel and drink melted butter) so I'll take the position that it was actually medicinal. Danny hated them, but he really dislikes potatoes, even chips. Weirdo. Oh well, more for me! Mr. Eat The Blog thought they were wonderful.

I'm out of here until tomorrow.


You Will Need:

2 lbs. potatoes cut into rounds 1/8 inch thick
2 cups water
3/4 stick unsalted butter cut into bits
3/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
Parsley for garnish

Cut a round of parchment paper to just fit inside a large frying pan. Butter one side. Slice potatoes and arrange in pan. Cover with water, salt and pepper and dot with butter. Cover with parchment butter side down. Simmer briskly until tender-about thirty minutes (mine took closer to forty-five). Remove potatoes to a serving platter. Turn up the heat under pan liquid and stirring with a whisk, cook until reduced by half. Pour over potatoes. Serve topped with parsley.

No comments: