Monday, October 13, 2008

Corn Chowdah Foah Dinnah


Contrary to my husband's assertion that "Soup is just watered down food", this is quite filling as a main course.

Part of what makes this chowder so great is that it can be thrown together quickly at very little cost. The original recipe called for bacon, which I omitted. The only other change I made was the addition of a half teaspoon of dried thyme, and some of the proportions (I used more onion). Like so many of my favourite recipes, it is adapted from the one in From Amish And Mennonite Kitchens.

You Will Need:

1/2 a large onion, chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
2 cups corn (I used frozen)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used less as my stock had salt)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk

In a large pot, cook the onion in the oil until soft but not browned. Add the potatoes, corn, celery and seasonings. Add 1 1/2 cups of the stock reserving the rest, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until soft-about 30 minutes.

Blend flour with reserved stock and add to soup. Cook until slightly thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat.

Add milk and re-warm but do not boil. Serve warm.




No comments: