Thursday, October 23, 2008

Lazy Casserole

I wouldn't call it lasagna, though it shares many of the components. I made an abundance of tomato sauce yesterday, and still had quite a bit left to use. Since it was thick with carrots, onions and celery I thought it would work well as a casserole sauce. I also had cottage cheese that needed to be used, so in it went. Small odds and ends of cheese? In they go! You get the idea. A couple eggs and some cooked noodles and you have a nice one-dish dinner for a cold autumn day (and man, is it ever cold here. It snowed in the western part of the state last night and we got 3 inches of cold, wet rain locally. The drive is a mile long stretch of mud. I know that sounds like fun, but really it's not. I need to drive the trash up to the pit and at least for the moment, I can't. Not without getting stuck anyway. Mr. Eat The Blog is going to try and walk it up there tonight and hopefully won't end up losing a boot in it like the last time he went up there after a heavy rain. Sometimes I really miss city living and trash collection. Anyway, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, casserole.

I'll give a recipe of sorts but really, use what you have in the fridge. There's no sense to specifying a certain type of cheese or amount of sauce. Like many of the things I post here, think of it as a sort of template.

You Will Need:

1 large package of broad noodles, cooked and drained
1 large container of cottage cheese (I used 4% but anything will do) drained
2 eggs
4 cups rich spaghetti sauce (mine was vegetarian, but use what you have)
1/2 cup grated hard cheese (I had Romano)
2 cups grated soft cheese (I had Provolone)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 pan.

Combine everything well and pour into pan. Bake about 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed and top is nicely browned.

No comments: