Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Love My Cheap-O Blender and Hummus Without Tahini


I bought this blender five years ago for fifteen bucks at Walgreens. It has survived dozens of batches of pesto, hot carrot soup, and multiple batches of beans. Today, it churned out a lovely batch of hummus. I really didn't expect it would last six months, but it just keeps chugging along putting up with the abuse I toss at it. I really do love this blender.

I wanted to try making hummus without tahini and I'm really pleased with the results of today's batch. I don't think the olive oil saved me any calories, but it sure did taste delicious. I also went very heavy on the lemon juice-the juice of two whole lemons. I roasted my garlic first because we just can't take raw garlic, but otherwise it was a very plain version focusing on the flavour of chick peas. It was also much thinner than what is available in supermarkets.

I served the hummus with leftover olive bread with lettuce and tomatoes, and some cauliflower roasted with olive oil and paprika. It was a very nice, light dinner after a somewhat long day out.


You Will Need:

4 cups chickpeas (if using a food mill leave skins on, otherwise pull of as many as you can stand to do).
1/4 cup + olive oil
Water
Salt
Juice of 2 large lemons
Half a bulb of roasted garlic


Blend together the chickpeas, garlic, 1/4 cup olive oil and lemon juice. Whirl in a blender and add water (or bean cooking liquid) to thin. You may need more olive oil-you'll need to taste. Add salt at this point and adjust liquids accordingly. keep in mind it will thicken quite a bit in the fridge and can be thinned further with water. You can also drizzle a bit of oil on top of the bowl before serving.

No comments: